Saturday, February 21, 2009

What do I need to know about living in Brazil


What do I need to know about living in Brazil?
Hi I am about to marry a wonderful man from Brazil and will be moving there shortly. I have a eight year old son that will be moving with me. Can anyone help me with information on schools, jobs, and just life in general around Rio that I can look forward to? I would love to correspond with any american who may already be living in Brazil.
Rio de Janeiro - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i went on vacation there and it's a beautiful city! The beach's in Rio are so amazing and we even went when there in the winter. unfortunately most Brazilian bikinis are very immodest so idk about that but you'll love the beaches!
2 :
Hey whats up? The first time i lived there i was 9, theres an " american " school there that teaches in English.. but theres not alot of things to do. Its not the fast paced life your used to, its more beach and just relax... Untill you speak portuguese you wont be working, from teaching English to any other job here your gana have to speak good portuguese. It sucks not being able to comunicate with people. I tried CD's and books but nothing helped more than just going with somebody to the store and saying what they say, learn first hand. Get your son alot of video games and a back up unit, xbox stuff costs 3 times as much. Just buy all your small electronics there like laptop and camera but buy clothes here so you can blend better. You could try looking for a job at the American consulate in Rio, i know they allways looking for Americans or its easier for them or something like that, they have a website in English you can get there number call them and ask for "American services" learn to surf
3 :
hi Kim, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and move. Brasíl is awesome. I like it so much I'll be living there starting June 1. I'm American and know many Americans though mainly in São Paulo. There are so many sources of information. Here are a few web sites to get you started: https://www.osac.gov/Pages/Home.aspx (Bureau of Diplomatic Security web site) http://brazil.angloinfo.com/ (AngloInfo - probably has the greatest source of info for us that I've used until now) http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1072.html (State Department of US information about Brasíl). There are so many sources of info. Start with AngloInfo and if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to let me know, I'll be happy to point you and your family in the right direction.
4 :
Hi! I'm Brazilian. About schools: Unlike the U.S., here in Brazil you'll find private schools are much better than public schools. You may prefer to spend approximately five hundred reais, or about three hundred dollars a month for a school for your child with a better education. About jobs, I do not know if I can help you. I visited Rio de Janeiro only twice, and during childhood. But the opportunities are there, just know to look. The Rio de Janeiro can be dangerous, so be careful at night. Try not to walk alone in poor neighborhoods, and be careful with the speaker. I hate to admit it, but Rio is one of the cities with more security problems. Depending on where you live today, will be surprised by the heat. There are days when the average is thirty-five degrees. We are entering the winter, but you see people wearing tops and shirtless men every day. Good luck, I hope you like Brazil. If you have any further questions, send me a message. Lana.







Read more discussions :